When I watched the TED talk on child driven education I found myself amazed by the simple idea. Then I thought about my own learning on a computer. Many of the computer skills I have picked up on a computer and many of the sources I use and find useful have not been in a formal class or self-taught, but rather simple skills or knowledge picked up when working with others on a computer. Common things like key stroke shortcuts, screen shots, and other functions I learned while working with others. Whether it was something we learned together or something a peer taught me. I have taken two college level computer science courses and I really think I have discovered more from my peers. I was just thinking about the website that Lindsey was showing us last week. That is something she shared and I learned about in a more informal fashion, but it was a helpful source that I will be able to use in the future.
After watching this video it helped me to realize how important it is for teachers to develop lessons that involve students working in groups when working with technology. I think it is great that at some schools every student has there own laptop, but I also think at times it takes away from group work. Students are great at problem solving together and learning by observing. I think if you take a group of students and just give them one computer, they may learn more from each other and learn more at times.
I agree - collaboration is key and I think that teachers are doing a lot of group work with the computers. I know in my school there are bullying imovies in groups, podcasts, presentations and some fun green screen stuff in art class too that the kids do in groups with the computers - just to name a few.
ReplyDeleteI also thought that his take on ADHD was really interesting too - with over stimulation comes that distractibility. Something to really think about.