I was trying to think of a topic to blog about this week. As I was scanning some news stories I came across one that I somehow missed. This New York Times article is about a teacher in LA who was rated as being "less effective than average" by the school district and the LA Times published the district's teacher ratings in the paper. Apparently the teacher became depressed after receiving the rating and colleagues and family members of the teacher believe the published ratings are to blame for this.
I agree that teachers need to be held accountable, but how can this be measured effectively? Apparently the teacher in LA was a dedicated teacher who tutored students before and after school. But according to the value-added assessments (click hear to learn more) this teacher was a "less effective than average". I have to admit, if I were still teaching and received that rating which was also published in a paper, I would be pretty devastated.
How can we hold teachers accountable but in a fair and humane way?
No comments:
Post a Comment