Sunday, June 26, 2011

Middle Level Teacher Preparation

While reading This we Believe in Action this week I found myself focusing on Middle Level Teacher Preparation.  I am sometimes amazed at some teacher prep programs and how broad and expansive they can be.  I am not trying to speak negatively toward K-8 certification programs, but rather am questioning their effectiveness.   Realistically there is a vast difference between a kindergardener and an eighth grader.  Are there teacher prep programs out there that can really cover how to effectively teach an age range from 5 to 14 years old?  I am a little biased since I graduated from a middle level program, but it does make me wonder, are middle level programs taking seriously?  Why are states not finding it to be more of a need to better prepare teachers to instruct at the middle level?

I came across the NMSA's standards on middle level teacher preparation.  It is very comprehensive and detailed.  I also found the article, May I See Your License, which states only 21 states require a middle level teaching license.  That made me wonder, why aren't more states requiring a middle level teaching license?  Is it too radical of a change?  I remember when the school I attended, Ohio University, switched from offering a K-8 program to a K-5, 4-9, and 7-12 certification program.  I believe I was still in high school and wasn't affected by the change.  I wish I would have paid more attention to how teachers, schools, and higher education institutions responded to the change.  It may be worth looking into for a future report or project.

1 comment:

  1. It is such a good point about the vast amount of differences between a kindergartener and an eighth grader. In elementary education programs, for the most part, teachers are mainly learning about educating the very young. In secondary education programs they a learning to teach young adults. Where do the middle level adolescents fit in here? The honest answer is that they do not. I think specialized teachers who are specifically trained in educating this age group needs to become more prevalent.

    ReplyDelete