After reviewing my blog for this semester, its interesting to see how everything is tied together in education and is connected. Many events have occurred this year that I believe have "dumped" on teachers and the educational system. Working in a profession that is constantly critiqued and scrutinized is hard. This year we had Waiting for Superman come out, making Americans believe that charter schools are the solution to all of our problems in education. Then, this winter states attacked teacher unions and the press has helped Americans to believe that Unions are the cause of all of our problems in education and if we take away Unions, schools are going to improve instantly. Needless to say it hasn't been a very uplifting year in the public eye for educators. Its sad how negative stories make the news far more than the positive ones. I think it is good that the educational system is questioned and evaluated. However, I think we also need to focus on what is working in schools, and not just what isn't working.
I think it is valuable to have blogs like this for many reasons. One, to help share information. I think it is important to share viewpoints, articles, tips, and experiences with others. There is so much we can learn from each other as educators and learners. A blog like this is a wonderful way to do that. I also think having a blog like this is valuable in order to take the time to reflect on things. I can read an article and take something away from it. But I usually gain so much more if I take the time to reflect on it in writing or in a conversation with someone.
This blog is a continuation from a blog I did for a fall class. I have appreciated this experience. It was my first blog I have ever had to do for a class, and I do enjoy it. I enjoy reading articles and reflecting on different issues in education, so I hope to continue my blogging!
No comments:
Post a Comment